I'm not always a fast reader. A book that doesnt draw me in can take me several weeks to finish, But normally I'm pretty stubborn , so I will get stuck and fall behind. But here is a brief recap of what I have read this year.
TheWarrior-Prophet by R Scott Bakker 9.5 out of 10.
An amazing book One of the best I've ever read. Scott took it up a big notch from TDTCB
Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erickson. 6.5/10
I don't get the love. Erickson could be churning out D&D books
The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold 8/10
Fun read, Fun Plot, Nice characters, nothing ground breaking but very solid
The Dragon Waiting by John M Ford. 9/10
Great book, Great idea, ending left me a bit empty, but a brilliant alternate history overall
The Thousandfold Thought by R Scott Bakker. 9/10
Loved it. Left me wanting more. Love the desrciptions of the battling schoolmen.
Dune by Frank Herbert. 8.5/10
A classic of the genre. Its 40 years old and it holds up amazingly well. The number of todays authors who were influence by this is remarkable. At times though it reads like a book on ecology, and it loses me slightly there.
Supreme Power HC. J. Michael Strazynski 9/10
This is a hard cover compliation of the first 12 issues of the comic book in Marvel's Max line. JMS can write a really good comic. He takes the alternate world Squadron supreme and reimagines it in a refreshing way. The characters are esentially modeled after DC's JLA , Hyperion= Superman, Doc. Spectum=Green Lantern, Nighthawk=Batman . Most of the Heros are not all that heroic. If you are a fan of the tights and capes crowd this is a must read.
Shadow Twin by Gardner Dozios, George RR Martin, and Danial Abraham. 7/10
This is really only a Novella about 100 pages in lenght. But its a book in its own right so I'm counting it as a full book. :pIt was interesting. I've always been more of a fantasy fan than of Sci Fi. The story takes place on another planet colonied by humans, mostly Latin americans. and The Main character, Ramon discovers aliens while out prospecting. From there is where the story becomes interesting. There is one outstanding plot twist which makes the whole story. I guess as someone who doesnt rerad much short work nor sci fi, it wasnt really my element, I'd rate it as solid but not spectacular.
Friday, April 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment