Formerly know as books on tape, audio books are in my opinion vastly under appreciated. My first use of audio books was back in college. My brother and I drove out to Colorado for spring break, and we listened to Mario Puzo's the Sicilian. I discovered that listening to a book really helps the drive go faster. After college, I had a job selling windows and siding. This involved up to 5 hours driving a day, sometimes even more. I lived across the road from the library, and I made good use of it. I listed to most of Tom Clancy's books. I discovered Roger Zelazny's world of Amber. It made the drive home at 10 pm after having 2 no shows and a no sale in the evening much more bearable.
Now one of the downsides of audio books was the sheer amount of media required. A good sized book can have over 20 hours of audio easily. A Storm of Swords is pushing 50 hours. On a 90 minute tape that's one hell of a lot of tapes. On a 75 minute CD that's 40 of them. Needless to say that become unwieldly. It also leads to abridgments, which in most cases I view as an abomination. But in the last several years with the rise of the I-pod and other hard drive based mp3 players full 1200 page translations of books became much more feasible. Audible dot com is a good seller of digital audio books, the main drawback being is they are in a proprietary format and therefore wont work with all players. Its a massive undertaking to convert them to the more accessible mp3 format.
Anyway, despite the drawbacks, I'm a huge fan. If I'm driving anywhere more than 30 minutes or so I put a book on. I listen when I walk the dog, or go jogging. While audio books will never replace the love I have for sitting down with a hard bound book, They definitely have their place.
Monday, April 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
When I was stationed in North Carolina, my ex wife and I would quite often make weekend trips to Memphis, twelve hours away, to visit her family.
I don't think I would have made it through all of those trips without audio books.
That is the manner in which I was exposed to a signifigant portion of Stephen King's output, and how I was able to swallow most of the Marine Corps required reading list.
I still remember driving through the Smoky Mountains cheering on Chesty Puller as he mocked the vastly larger enemy at the Chosin Reservoir.
That said, if I can help it, it's paper books all the way.
Post a Comment