I attended a reading and signing by breakout author Scott Lynch at Dreamhaven last night. Snacks and fizzy drinks were served. There was a nice turnout of probably 25 -30 people, many of whom seemed to be friends of the author. Scott was very friendly and outgoing, and was cracking me up all night, starting with him addressing the crowd just prior to staring and cracking "What are you looking at? I don't have to be nice until 6:30." Much witty banter with the crowd ensued, most especially with his lovely fiance who was seated in the front row.Let me interject the fact that regrettably, I haven't had the chance to read the book yet. I had ordered a copy from Neil at Clarkesworld. But Neil going the extra mile sent the books off to be signed, resulting in a slight delay. Being the book addict I am, I of course purchased an additional copy last night to get personally signed.
The reading consisted of the entire prologue, which is available for download here. If you haven't read this books yet, and aren't sure you want to, read this, and it will convince you. I've attended a number of readings over the past year or so, and some authors are certainly more enthusiastic than others. You could tell that Scott really enjoys his book, because he certainly seemed to be having fun reading it. He delivered all the punch lines with proper flair.
After the reading, Scott answered questions for quite awhile. The first question was about his career as a fireman. Scott then regaled us with several amusing anecdotes regarding folks of questionable intelligence, running the gambit from fireworks, or smoking in bed, to intoxicated 20 somethings, dry ice, and superfluous nipples. He also discussed the providence of landing not only a 2 book deal from a 45 page prologue, but it evolving into a 6 book deal, and optioning book 1 off into a movie.
Finally it was time for signing. Scott nixed the singing as he was worried about liability due to brains bleeding if he attempted to sing the book. He was once again extremely nice, and took the time to write some nice personal inscriptions. Once I get mine scanned or photo'd I will put it up here.


No comments:
Post a Comment